December 1st is World AIDS Day, and if you’re looking for a way to help out this holiday season, this is the perfect opportunity to make a difference and unite in the fight against HIV.
If you’re asking yourself how you can help, here are just a few things you can do to help raise awareness and show your support:
Learn the facts – The easiest way to show your support is to get educated. World AIDS Day has an HIV Awareness quiz that you can take. Test your knowledge and share your results with your friends. Knowledge is power and it’s easy to show solidarity when you know what you’re standing up for.
Wear a ribbon – The international symbol of HIV awareness and support is a red ribbon. On December 1st—or throughout the whole month—wear a red ribbon to show your support. If someone asks you why you’re wearing it, you can let them know it’s World AIDS Day and with your new knowledge of HIV you can inform other people.
Put a ribbon on everything – This year, the World AIDS Day organization is calling out for people to put a ribbon on anything they can. Along with simply wearing the ribbon, you can also get creative with where you put it. Bake something with a red ribbon and then upload to Instagram. Put a red ribbon on your pet and post to Facebook. Think outside the box and don’t forget when you share to use #PutARibbonOnIt.
Hold an event – Have a bake sale or sell red ribbons. Host an event that can raise money for the UK-based National AIDS Trust. This is also another opportunity to start the conversation and inform people of World AIDS day.
Share – Use the power of social media to draw attention to the cause. Along with the Put A Ribbon On It campaign, you can use the official hashtag of the event, #WAD2014. If we can get the hashtag trending, we can gain the attention we need to unite. The theme this year for World AIDS Day is “Focus, Partner, Achieve: An AIDS-free Generation.” If we can start the conversation, know the facts, and raise awareness, the idea of a generation that is HIV free isn’t that hard to imagine.
- 5 Ways To Find the Best (and Doable) Resolution On “Make Up Your Mind Day” - December 30, 2016
- 5 Ways To Show Self-Love, Whether It’s Valentine’s or Not! - February 10, 2016
- Human Rights Day is December 10: Here’s How to Impact Social Change - December 2, 2015
- Five Ways to Help Kids and Inspire Art In Your Community - March 2, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Break Creative Mental Blocks - January 30, 2015
- Dream On (Really!): 5 Ways To Make Your Dream A Reality - January 14, 2015
- Help Eliminate AIDS: Celebrate World AIDS Day - December 2, 2014
- 5 Ways To Up Your Work Game By Using The Rules of Improvisational Comedy - December 2, 2014
- Yes, Please To All That: Why I Love Amy Poehler - November 28, 2014
- Help Stop Domestic Violence With The #NoMore Campaign - November 21, 2014