Subtle sexism. Yeah it’s a thing. And if you’re a lady, you’ve most likely experienced it. Countless times.
What is subtle sexism?
It’s made up of the kind of subversive remarks that…
A) you will never hear said to a man
B) appear to be a compliment but actually undermine your value
C) indicate your value as a human being is based on your looks and your ability to have babies
D) suggest that you shouldn’t find enjoyment in certain things because they’re “for men”
E) suggests that women should be both demure and sensual… and yet are judged regardless.
Watch this poignant video 48 Things Women Hear In A Lifetime (That Men Just Don’t). Huff Post shows 80 years of subtle sexism in under two minutes.
And you know what else is horrifying? After watching the video, I realized that even I–a woman who considers herself a feminist–have said a few of these subtly sexist things to or about another woman. That means that we are so entrenched in sexist thinking, that even ladies believe some parts of sexism to be a given.
Try to catch yourself when you say (or about to say) something that undermines our own lady-peers, or at the very least just recognize that sexist thinking isn’t just what men say, but we say to ourselves.
MORE LIKE THIS
- Femme Finance: 7 Women Who Are Running Finance - January 31, 2018
- When You Know It’s Time To Try Something New with Samantha Citro - January 30, 2018
- Mind of a Mentor: the Art of Adaptability with Samantha Citro - January 29, 2018
- Meet This Mentor: Samantha Citro - January 28, 2018
- 4 Things Women who Practice Self-Love All Have in Common - November 20, 2017
- How To Know If You’re In A Toxic Relationship — And How To Take Action - October 10, 2017
- Renee’s Road: 4 Tips To Achieving Your Dreams Through Your Life’s Journey - October 10, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor: Reclaiming Your Voice with Renee Millington - October 10, 2017
- We All Need to Get Serious About Our Cyber Security – An Interview with an Identity Theft Warrior - October 6, 2017
- Like Fine Wine: How To Pick Wine Like A Boss with Sommelier Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017