MTV premiered its latest reality show, Chelsea Settles, last week. But this isn’t your standard put-a-bunch-of-strangers-together-and-watch-the-drama-unfold or follow-the-exploits-of-a-group-of-beautiful-frenemies fare.
Chelsea Settles is the real-life story of Chelsea, a 23-year-old who leaves her small town in Pennsylvania to make a career for herself in the world of fashion in LA. But Chelsea isn’t a typical recent college grad – at 324 pounds, she’s morbidly obese, and facing a slew of self-esteem challenges which living in the land of the original skinny bikini blonds is bound to exercerbate.
In the first episode, we are introduced to Chelsea, a vibrant, thoughtful, ambitious young woman who you help but fall in love with. We learn a bit about her personal story – her single mom has severe diabetes and is in failing health, and her serious boyfriend is in the Army and, though he’s cheated on her before, she is worried that if she lost him she’d never find someone else who would accept her for who she is.
We also see Chelsea pay a visit to the doctor to find out what’s really going on with her health as a result of her weight. It’s a tough scene to watch, as the doctor makes it clear that unless Chelsea makes some serious changes to her lifestyle, she’s on track to die at a very young age.
The visit seems to be a wake-up call for Chelsea, who goes on to clean out her stash of junk food and candy in her room, join a gym, and make a commitment to herself to go after the life she wants wholeheartedly.
As the hour-long episode progresses, Chelsea decides the time to go to LA is now and breaks the news to her grandmother and mom. When she tells her boyfriend and he makes it clear he thinks she’s setting herself up for failure, her determination just seems to grow. The last scene of the premiere shows Chelsea and her cousin Jarel boarding a plane bound for LA. As viewers, we know their adventure is only beginning.
The first episode definitely drew us in, and we are already rooting for Chelsea to successfully make the changes and take the steps she needs to so she can realize her dreams. It’s the classic underdog story, but in watching the scenes for the upcoming season, it looks like Chelsea is up for facing her fears head on, no matter how uncomfortable or difficult they are.
The premiere episode of Chelsea Settles reminded us of a quote by writer Neale Donald Walsch that we love: Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone. If that’s true, then Chelsea Settles life is just beginning. And we’re excited to be part of her cheering squad.
You can watch a trailer for Chelsea Settles here. And if you do watch the show, let us know what you think!
Get More: MTV Shows
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018