When I was 10 I thought I’d feel older and cooler when I was 13.
When I was 16 I thought at I’d start feeling more grown up at 18.
And when I was 18, 21 became my new benchmark for adulthood.
Well guess what? I’m 22, have graduated NYU with honors and a minor in business, directed three film festivals, found one of the best mentors ever (shout out to you Dixie Laite!), have worked for the BBC in London, interned at Nickelodeon in NYC, currently run my own web design business, and still wake up thinking “I’m just putting one foot in front of the other and figuring it out!”
Notice a pattern here? I’ve come to the conclusion that we’ll never actually feel “grown up” or at least not “grown up” in the sense that we know all the ins and outs of the world and what it’s about. Becoming an adult is a lifelong process.
That said, I have been getting excited to do some more adult-y things lately! Like opening my first credit card to build credit history (I’ll tell you the the whole need-to-have-a-credit-card-to-build-credit-history-but-need-to-have-credit-history-to-get-a-credit-card cycle is very frustrating). Or like calling my grandma and distant family members more often just to catch up. Or trying to learn to cook something other than cookies and Kraft mac n’ cheese.
So you can imagine at this time in my life that I’m happy to receive as much help as I can get! Which is exactly what I was when I stumbled upon this awesome article by lifestyle site Refinery 29: 10 Things Every 20-Something Should Do To Be A Grown-Up. And the whole point of doing these things is actually so we have MORE freedom!
So in conclusion I’m taking these tips all under consideration. I’ll always be a goof ball. Just a goof ball who knows how to make a mean pot roast and come in under budget.
- 4 Things Women who Practice Self-Love All Have in Common - November 20, 2017
- How To Know If You’re In A Toxic Relationship — And How To Take Action - October 10, 2017
- Renee’s Road: 4 Tips To Achieving Your Dreams Through Your Life’s Journey - October 10, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor: Reclaiming Your Voice with Renee Millington - October 10, 2017
- We All Need to Get Serious About Our Cyber Security – An Interview with an Identity Theft Warrior - October 6, 2017
- Like Fine Wine: How To Pick Wine Like A Boss with Sommelier Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 5 Tips On How To Mourn In A Healthy Way - October 5, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor Ep. 1: Resiliency with Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 6 Pros + Cons of Being a Digital Nomad Who Makes Her Living from Her Laptop - August 7, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor – Hope Alcocer
Sharing Our Stories Heals Us (And Helps Us Kick Major Ass) - August 1, 2017
- Declutter Your Life in 19 Steps… or Just One!
- Having It Together: The Early 20s To-Do List
- 8 Things I Did in College That I Do Not Regret in the Slightest (and why you shouldn’t either!)