Sometimes the only thing that stands between a person and volunteering is knowing where to start. The thought of sifting through thousands of volunteer ops on some search engine and then reaching out to sign up can feel so daunting, many people never take the first step.
Enter Youth Volunteer Corps of America! YVCA was created in 1987 by David Battey, who realized that navigating the world of volunteerism could be overwhelming. He aimed to connect teens with meaningful volunteer opportunities in their own communities so they could experience the many benefits of volunteering.
Twenty-three years later, YVCA has made its mark. With 48 locations in the U.S. and 2 in Canada, thousands of kids from 11-18 are serving in their communities each year. In 2008 alone, more than 12,000 volunteers logged more than 170,000 hours worth of service!
YVCA understands that teens are juggling busy lives, so they run their programs to mesh with different schedules. During the school-year, they scale things down, sticking to after-school or weekend service projects, while in the summers, YVCA volunteers get the chance to work on week-long and extended projects.
Interested in finding out more? Check out the YVCA website to see if there’s a chapter in your community. If not, don’t despair – follow the steps on the site for starting an affiliate and be a volunteerism pioneer in your own community!
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018