Over the last year, I’ve been reading up on personal finance–on blogs, books, podcasts (ok that’s listening, but you get the gist).
My goal last year was to stash away 6 months of living expenses. And as of last week, I’ve accomplished that (*high-fiving myself*).
So now, my new goal is to start using the money I do have to work FOR me (not just sit in a crazy .01% return savings account like it had been… I had no idea there were wayyyyy better options ’til I started Googling!)
Now, I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and responsible with money, but it turns out I had zero idea how many financial opportunities I’ve been losing out on.
For example, for those 6 month’s of expenses I saved, I learned I could put that money into a high yield savings account. So I did my research on NerdWallet and chose Ally Bank which offers a 1% APY. This means every year that it’s in savings your moolah makes 1% and then that number gets lumped into next year’s APY. So if you put in $5,000 to this account, after 1 year your bank balance makes 1% and becomes $5,050. Then the next year it becomes $5,100.50. (As a reminder, I was making one hundred times LESS that in my previous savings account at Bank of America. So in the same $5k scenario at Bank of America, you’d make 50 CENTS instead of 50 DOLLARS! #crazytown)
So if you’re like me (aka a personal finance beginner) and you’re feeling it’s time to take your money a little more seriously, start perusing Nerd Wallet or pick up an Amazon bestseller at the library.
And to get you started here’s a checklist with pretty graphics of 29 Money Misunderstandings That Are Losing You $$.
If you’re starting a new job, here’s 4 money things you gotta do at your new company.
And here’s 10 savings oopsies you should try your darndest to avoid.
- 4 Things Women who Practice Self-Love All Have in Common - November 20, 2017
- How To Know If You’re In A Toxic Relationship — And How To Take Action - October 10, 2017
- Renee’s Road: 4 Tips To Achieving Your Dreams Through Your Life’s Journey - October 10, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor: Reclaiming Your Voice with Renee Millington - October 10, 2017
- We All Need to Get Serious About Our Cyber Security – An Interview with an Identity Theft Warrior - October 6, 2017
- Like Fine Wine: How To Pick Wine Like A Boss with Sommelier Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 5 Tips On How To Mourn In A Healthy Way - October 5, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor Ep. 1: Resiliency with Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 6 Pros + Cons of Being a Digital Nomad Who Makes Her Living from Her Laptop - August 7, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor – Hope Alcocer
Sharing Our Stories Heals Us (And Helps Us Kick Major Ass) - August 1, 2017