Most of us recognize Jessica Alba for the characters she plays on screen, but she’s also an impressive character in her personal life–she’s earning a well-deserved reputation as a philanthropist. A few years back, Jessica’s interest in non-toxic household products inspired her to start The Honest Company–read more about that here–a move that has heightened her advocacy work for healthy children and a healthy planet.
Jessica is deeply involved in The Honest Company’s Social Goodness Platform, an initiative which includes charitable partnerships, promoting policy changes that protect children and the planet, and encouraging the company’s employees to get involved in community service.
One such charitable partnership was forged in spring 2015 with FEED, an organization that works to fight hunger internationally. The companies teamed up to create a diaper bag; for each bag sold, The Honest Company and Feed donated a year’s worth of micronutrients to mothers and children in developing countries.
Jessica isn’t shy about speaking up on behalf of the causes she supports. She has made multiple visits to Washington, D.C. to encourage members of Congress to pass strong legislation protecting consumers from toxic chemicals. Working with groups like the American Sustainable Business Council and the Safer Chemicals Healthy Families Coalition, Jessica has been able to raise awareness about the ways in which some household chemicals can affect people’s health.
Despite her busy schedule, Jessica also serves on the board of directors for Baby2Baby, a nonprofit organization that provides diapers, children’s clothing, and basic necessities to low-income families. In addition, she has actively supported a long list of advocacy campaigns, including Healthy Child Healthy World, the Children’s’ Defense Fund, Step Up Women’s Network, Habitat for Humanity, and V-Day, an international effort to stop violence against women and girls. Jessica has also worked with Declare Yourself and VotoLatino, urging young people to register to vote.
As an activist, entrepreneur, and actress, Jessica Alba is an all-around inspiration–one that has become a real-life superhero that’s even stronger than the kick-ass characters she’s played on screen.
- Face Your Career Fears. Future You Will Thank You For It. - January 2, 2018
- Reality Check: Are You Setting Unachievable Goals for Yourself? - December 27, 2017
- Why Everyone Needs an Emergency Fund — Even You - December 21, 2017
- How to Avoid Giving (and Getting!) Unwanted Gifts - December 17, 2017
- Need Holiday Cash Fast? Try These Seasonal Side Jobs - December 15, 2017
- What Job Skills Do You Need to Get Your Dream Job? - December 12, 2017
- 6 Serious Self-Care Strategies to Get You Through Stressful Times - December 8, 2017
- You Can’t Buy Love:
Dating Without Breaking the Bank - November 23, 2017
- How to Prep-up for a Social Event to Avoid Being Socially Awkward - November 21, 2017
- 8 Ways to Get Focused When You’ve Got a Bad Case of the Distractables - November 14, 2017