What It’s All About: (RED) is a simple idea that transforms the collective power of shoppers into a financial force that helps those affected by HIV/AIDS.
No doubt you’ve seen (RED) products over the past ten years – partners include The Gap, Apple, Nike, Converse, and American Express, just to name a few. Each time you buy a (RED) product from one of their partner companies, up to 50% of the profit goes towards eliminating AIDS. And it’s making an impact: To date, more than $175 million has been generated and over 7.5 million people have been helped through Global Fund programs that (RED) supports.
Here are some of facts about AIDS and Africa that show why the need is so urgent:
- Women make up approximately 60% of estimated HIV infections in sub-Saharan Africa and, as a result, women and children are the hardest hit by the disease.
- In 2009, an estimated 370,000 babies contracted HIV during the prenatal and breastfeeding period.
- With access to medication, a pregnant mother can stop the transmission of HIV to her child in up to 99% of cases. In 2004, only 9% of HIV+ pregnant women who needed this treatment were receiving it; today, over 53% of women have access to the life-saving treatment needed to stay alive and deliver a healthy child.
- 33 million people in the world have AIDS. 22 million live in Africa.
- Every day 3,600 people die in sub-Saharan Africa from AIDS – a preventable and treatable disease.
- It costs just 40 cents a day for the life-saving medicine someone living with HIV/AIDS in Africa needs to help them live a healthy and productive life.
Want to see (RED) programs in action? Check out this trailer for The Lazarus Effect, a documentary directed by Spike Jonze for HBO and (RED). You can watch the full 30-minute film here:
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018