We’re right smack in the middle of National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, so it’s a good time to think about how you can encourage the girls and women in your lives to love their bodies. After all, we live in a society where half of fourth grade girls are on a diet and anorexia ranks as the third most common chronic illness among adolescents.
This week, we also need to think about why our media is so obsessed with promoting scarily skeletal models and celebrities. (Did you watch the Oscars?) We love this quote by singer and actress Demi Lovato, who knows what it’s like to struggle with an eating disorder: “Most models are thinner than 98% of Americans. Instead of trying to change our bodies, how about we try to change our culture?” Exactly!
Here’s one way you can get involved right now: The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness is looking for talented creative folks to design posters promoting healthy body image — and awareness about eating disorders. Entries for their Confidence By Design contest “may feature eating disorder facts and statistics; encourage those who are struggling to seek help and support; share the message that recovery from eating disorders is possible; or offer messages of positive body-image, self-esteem and confidence,” according to the contest web page.
Interested in learning more? Read the rules and get inspired looking at current campaign posters (like the one pictured above) — and then get going: Entries must be received by March 4. Winners will receive $250 and have their poster be part of The Alliance’s national campaign.
What else can you do to make sure the girls and women in your lives have healthy body images?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018