Latest posts by Deborah Reber (see all)
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
MTV’s Video Music Awards (VMAs) are coming up at the end of the month, and this year they’ve added a new category to the mix: Best Music Video with a Message. According to MTV, the new category spotlights the intersection of music and social activism, highlighting artists who’ve made videos with positive messages that raise awareness of some of the most pressing issues facing today’s youth, from bullying and LGBT discrimination to domestic violence and self-image struggles.
“During the past year, we’ve seen a remarkable number of artists create music videos that went above and beyond simply offering entertainment value,” said MTV President Stephen Friedman. “Instead, these artists used their influence and voices to explore deeply personal experiences and issues they were passionate about to create meaningful music that resonated with millions inspiring life anthems for their fans.”
This year’s nominations are:
- Lady Gaga, “Born This Way” – Praised for its message of equality and striving for a world without prejudice or judgment.
- Katy Perry, “Firework” – Celebrating the originality and uniqueness in all of us.
- Pink, “F**kin’ Perfect” – About loving yourself and not letting others’ opinions bring you down.
- Taylor Swift, “Mean” – A story about why being mean will get you nowhere.
- Eminem featuring Rihanna, “Love the Way You Lie” – Taking on domestic violence and the cycle of abuse.
- Rise Against, “Make it Stop (September’s Children)” – A reminder to LGBT teens feeling along that it gets better. (See Like a Boss’s review of “Make it Stop” here.)
You can watch clips from all the nominated videos here and vote for your favorite video. Then check out the action steps for each video supplied by MTV Act. Oh, and vote soon…the VMAs air on August 28th!
What do you think should win and why?
* * * * *
UPDATE! Congratulations to Lady Gaga for winning the Best Music Video with a Message Award for her “Born This Way” video at this past weekend’s VMAs!