Amy is one of 150 teens working at the Monterey Bay Aquarium as a Teen Conservation Leader. After a two-week training period in which volunteers learn about marine biology and ocean conservation, she got to work for the aquarium, arguably one of the world’s best.
Her job is to help out with the aquarium’s Young Women in Science summer camp, mentoring middle school-aged girls in a wide variety of activities, such as surface scuba diving, boogie boarding and even monitoring sand crabs. “It’s amazing to see how much the girls grow within the period of a single week,” Amy told a reporter for the aquarium’s website.
To become a teen conservation leader, you must be between the ages of 14 and 18, be comfortable with science terms, and want to work with a wide variety of people. And while it’s a volunteer gig, teens earn a lot for their efforts: According to the website, volunteers may “provide exhibit interpretation for our guests, support our summer camp programs or assist our teacher institutes. In the process, students develop important job and life skills, build self-confidence and earn community service hours.”
Interested in learning more about how to find a great volunteer gig near you? Read more about the whys and hows of summer volunteering here.
Have you volunteered over the summer? Where? How did you find the opportunity?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018