After the #TrumpTapes surfaced — a.k.a. the 2005 sound recording where Donald Trump bragged to former Access Hollywood host Billy Bush about groping women — author Kelly Oxford posted on Twitter asking women to share their experiences with sexual assault using #NotOkay. Two days later, Kelly Oxford was receiving 2 tweets per second about women’s first time being sexually assaulted.
I posted my assault, asked women to share theirs, thinking “if no one discusses I’ll pull it down.” 9.7million later pic.twitter.com/h1y7iIiU7M
— kelly oxford (@kellyoxford) October 9, 2016
Enough is enough. Aren’t you disgusted? Aren’t you pissed off–and rightly so? But aren’t you also inspired by the women who are coming forward with their stories? Bringing to light, just how freaking common this is.
Our focus here at LikeaBossGirls.com is to provide young women with the tools, information, and inspiration they need to explore and connect with their goals. Our whole mission is to lift up the Boss Girl within you.
That’s why we’ve got to address the misogyny, sexism, and disrespect for women that has repeatedly surfaced during this Presidential campaign.
My point today is two-fold.
2) The comments on the Access Hollywood tap (the #TrumpTapes) are not a one-off; he just represents a psyche that thinks this is ok. Sexual assault and violence stem from a similar place as “just locker room talk.”
When 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted on college campuses alone, guess what? Locker Room Talk like that — and the beliefs which make people think it’s okay to speak it in the first place — is anything but innocuous. It is #NotOkay.
So we must change the narrative around sex.
We can start by having open conversations like this one:
- 4 Things Women who Practice Self-Love All Have in Common - November 20, 2017
- How To Know If You’re In A Toxic Relationship — And How To Take Action - October 10, 2017
- Renee’s Road: 4 Tips To Achieving Your Dreams Through Your Life’s Journey - October 10, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor: Reclaiming Your Voice with Renee Millington - October 10, 2017
- We All Need to Get Serious About Our Cyber Security – An Interview with an Identity Theft Warrior - October 6, 2017
- Like Fine Wine: How To Pick Wine Like A Boss with Sommelier Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 5 Tips On How To Mourn In A Healthy Way - October 5, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor Ep. 1: Resiliency with Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 6 Pros + Cons of Being a Digital Nomad Who Makes Her Living from Her Laptop - August 7, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor – Hope Alcocer
Sharing Our Stories Heals Us (And Helps Us Kick Major Ass) - August 1, 2017