Our next guest on Mind of a Mentor is Melissa Washington.
Melissa is the founder of Melissa Washington, Inc. She is a speaker, author, podcaster, award winner, and LinkedIn workshop trainer who is passionate about connecting with people to engage, educate and inspire others across the nation.
After proudly serving her country in the United States Navy, Melissa earned her bachelor’s degree in business management and transitioned into a successful career in staffing and recruiting for more than 10 years working for both boutique agencies and global Fortune 500 companies.
Melissa was laid off from her job in 2009 due to a failing economy, marking the beginning of a nearly two-year journey and career reinvention that allowed her to use her passion for helping others. It all started with holding LinkedIn workshops for job seekers at her dining room table and has since exploded into what her business is today. Her journey, took a little detour for 4 years as she worked at LinkedIn, planning Global Corporate Meeting & Events.
Like most entrepreneurs, Melissa wears many hats, including: founder of Melissa Washington, Inc. providing LinkedIn training workshops for individuals and companies; sought-after speaker offering presentations on LinkedIn and other job-seeking tools; podcaster of Melissa Washington Show; author of Get Back to Work: Smart & Savvy Real-World Strategies to Make Your Next Career Move, which includes an expanded chapter on using LinkedIn; Director/Founder of Women Veterans Alliance (WVA) .
Melissa has been featured in the Sacramento Business Journal and other publications, as well as on an NBC KCRA 3 news segment where she was referred to as the “Lord of LinkedIn.” She has spoken at conferences and events conducted more than 100 training workshops for organizations such as Marriott and Social Media Tourism Industry.
She is the Sacramento Business Journal 2011 recipient of the prestigious 40 Under 40 award and 2015 National Association Women Business Owners (NAWBO) Outstanding Women Leader (OWL) Visionary Award
Melissa and her family reside in Northern California, and her hobbies include genealogy, working within her community, traveling, Girl Scouts, and spending quality time with her family.
- 15 Inspiring Quotes for Women Wanting to Rise to the Top - February 3, 2018
- “Today Was A Good Day” with Renee Cafaro - January 25, 2018
- Life of an Entrepreneur: Renee Cafaro - January 24, 2018
- Mind of a Mentor: Renee Cafaro
Own Your Voice [PODCAST] - January 22, 2018
- Plus-Size Coming Up Small: Renee Cafaro On Mainstream Fashion’s Attempts To Appeal To Plus-Size - January 22, 2018
- Meet This Mentor: Renee Cafaro - January 21, 2018
- Scout’s Honor: Why You Shouldn’t Forget About The Girl Scouts w/ Melissa Washington - January 17, 2018
- Mind of a Mentor: Melissa Washington – A Life of Service from the Navy to LinkedIn to Author [PODCAST] - January 15, 2018
- Meet This Mentor: Melissa Washington - January 14, 2018
- Building Your Support System Means Showing Up for Yourself First - August 2, 2017