Everyone likes to feel confident and put together for the first day of school, but for the homeless pregnant teens and teen moms at San Antonio’s Seton Home, there isn’t a lot of extra money for new haircuts or even school supplies.
That’s where 16-year-old Joi Stevens stepped in. She learned about Seton Home’s program through her involvement with Girls Inc., a nonprofit organization that inspires all girls to be strong, smart, and bold through a network of local organizations in the United States – and she wanted to do something to make their lives better.
Her idea: the Back 2 School Makeover. And she got right to work. “My mother and I went around the salon talking to different stylists about our idea and began working on getting sponsors and donations,” she told the San Antonio Express News. “Since it would be before the girls go back to school, I thought a school supply drive would be the perfect finishing touch.”
Joi convinced nine stylists to donate their time, and secured sponsorships from Carl’s Jr., Kinkos and more. Last week, more than a dozen girls from Seton Home participated, getting new hairstyles – and self-esteem. “Girls that come here have been kicked out of their houses, have been in jail. Nobody wants them…This shows that someone cares, that somebody loves us,” said one teen mom participant.
At Like a Boss, we admire girls like Joi who think of innovative ideas – and work hard to make them happen. What could you do to help girls feel more confident about going back to school?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018