While that film may have been a breakthrough for Keke’s acting career, it served another meaningful purpose. It was an eye-opener, and inspired her to help teens who might struggle a bit more than average. She achieves this through her service to organizations such as the Boys and Girls Club, specifically their “Cool to be Smart” program, and the anti-bullying program for girls, called Saving our Daughters. Just recently, Keke helped kick off the school year by leading kids in a unique obstacle course to help motivate them for the year ahead. In addition to these organizations that focus on girls and academic achievement, Urban Farming and the Girls Scouts of America.
And amidst all her other charitable work, Keke wants you to remember it’s an election year! She lent her voice—literally—to a music video with other female artists called “L.O.V.E. (Let One Voice Emerge). The music encourages young people, women, and minorities to get out and vote this November. Check out the video here.
If you listen to Keke talk about her service to others in an interview, she’s as bubbly and excited as she is when talking about her latest music video. Maybe this is because Keke grew up in a family that viewed helping others as a way of life. Her dad, a deacon in the Church, cooked a full dinner for the local homeless shelter. Keke shows every sign of following in her family’s foosteps, striving to be “present” in her generation, and someone to whom yong people can relate. At the end of the day, Keke wants her peers to love themselves because, as she has said, “…self-love is more important.”
- 10 Qualities of Successful Entrepreneurs (and How To Cop Them Yourself) - September 15, 2017
- You Gotta Look Out for #1. Don’t Forget to Take Care of You! - August 20, 2016
- Five Cures for the Common Collegiate Meltdown - August 5, 2016
- Whether You’re a Student or a Student of Life, Here’s How to Face Your Career Fears Like A Boss - July 8, 2016
- How Do You Find Your Passions? Try These 6 Tips - January 25, 2016
- Networking for Introverts: 5 Tips to Build Your Professional Circle Now - November 17, 2015
- How To Ask For a Favor—and Get a “Yes” - July 27, 2015
- Where to Volunteer? 5 Factors to Consider - September 30, 2014
- Spotlight On: Feminism = Equality - March 18, 2014
- Cause of the Month: Girls for a Change - March 4, 2014