Recently, I had the opportunity to attend an event for the No More campaign with Mariska Hargitay. Hargitay is founder and president of the Joyful Heart Foundation, an organization that provides support to survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence and child abuse. The Joyful Heart Foundation works in partnership with the No More campaign. The organization’s PSAs (which launched in September 2013) feature celebrities, public figures and advocates who address the silence that is associated with domestic violence and sexual assault and declare, “No More.”
Many of us know Hargitay as Detective Olivia Benson on Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. After the show started airing, Hargitay received emails and letters from fans who were victims of sexual assault thanking her and the show for shedding light on the reality of situation. Overwhelmed by this outreach and the need for more awareness nationwide, Hargitay started the Joyful Heart Foundation. Over the years, the Joyful Heart Foundation has supported survivors. The No More campaign also supports domestic violence survivors by taking a broad-scope view. Rather than focusing on only the victim, the organization says: Let’s stop saying, “why didn’t she leave” and instead ask, “why did he hurt her?” Survivors shouldn’t feel ashamed, and No More is working to end the stigma, shame and silence that surrounds domestic abuse.
If you would like to help out, you can check out the No More website and take the pledge. Snap a photo of yourself with #NoMore stating why you say No More. It’s an easy way for all of us to take a stand together to end domestic violence and sexual assault.
- 5 Ways To Find the Best (and Doable) Resolution On “Make Up Your Mind Day” - December 30, 2016
- 5 Ways To Show Self-Love, Whether It’s Valentine’s or Not! - February 10, 2016
- Human Rights Day is December 10: Here’s How to Impact Social Change - December 2, 2015
- Five Ways to Help Kids and Inspire Art In Your Community - March 2, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Break Creative Mental Blocks - January 30, 2015
- Dream On (Really!): 5 Ways To Make Your Dream A Reality - January 14, 2015
- Help Eliminate AIDS: Celebrate World AIDS Day - December 2, 2014
- 5 Ways To Up Your Work Game By Using The Rules of Improvisational Comedy - December 2, 2014
- Yes, Please To All That: Why I Love Amy Poehler - November 28, 2014
- Help Stop Domestic Violence With The #NoMore Campaign - November 21, 2014