Last Sunday, a 7.2 earthquake shook Turkey, and the death toll has risen to more than 530 people. Many others are injured or missing – or have lost their homes or businesses. This is the latest in a series of destructive earthquakes that have devastated countries around the world including Japan, Pakistan, and Haiti.
Want to take action to support the relief efforts going on in Turkey as well as help prepare your own community for the possibility of a future quake? Here are three ways you can help right now:
Have a fundraiser: One of the best things you can do is raise money to send to an aid organization that already on the ground, like the American Red Cross. Check out our 10 creative fundraising ideas for help getting started.
Spread the word: Bring awareness to the need in Turkey – and in other earthquake-ravaged areas – by writing about it. You can use social media, like Facebook, Twitter or your own blog, or ask your school newspaper if you can write something to get the attention of your fellow students. We recently posted a list of ideas about how to use creativity to raise awareness for the environment, but this list works for other causes, too, such as earthquake relief.
Get prepared: When an earthquake strikes another country, it can be an important reminder to make sure that your own family is prepared for a natural disaster. On the American Red Cross Website, you can download a checklist to help you get ready before, during and after a quake. The checklist includes important reminders about safety – like standing away from windows and bookcases. You can also learn how to register with Red Cross in case your family members are separated during an emergency.
Do you have other ideas that could help? We’d love to hear them!
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018