Have you ever listened to a song that made you want to dance, seen a movie that made you cry or looked at a photograph that made you laugh? These are all ways that art has tapped into your emotions.
January 31st is National Inspire Your Heart With Art Day and it’s a day for you to do exactly that. Take in some art that will really inspire you. If you find yourself in an artistic block and can’t get yourself out of it, today is the day to clear that pathway! Get your creative gears going and inspire your own creativity by taking in someone else’s work. Here are five ways to do it today:
1. Go to a museum – Take a trip to a local museum. Get lost in the museum. Don’t just go through and look at every piece like it’s a requirement. Instead take the time to find something that really speaks to you. Spend a good 15 minutes with a piece you’ve fallen for and write what you see and why you love it.
2. Go to the movies – Sometimes I like to go to movies alone. Especially if I go to a movie I know may make me cry. That way I don’t feel hesitant to let my feelings go. There’s no distraction of having to share the space with someone you know. Award season is the best time of year to see something in the theater because so many stellar films are released during this time. Go see something and get lost in the story.
3. Take in a comedy show – You know when you laugh so hard that you start to cry? Those are the best kinds of tears. It feels good to laugh yourself sloppy, which is why you should take the opportunity to go to a comedy show. Whether it be standup, sketch, or improv; find a local theater and go see something. There’s always truth in comedy which is what makes it funny and hits you right in the gut.
4. Swap Mix CDs – Have your friends make you a mix CD or a Spotify playlist of their favorite songs (and while you’re at it, do the same for them). Listening to someone else’s jams can help you discover something that you really love but would have never known about. There’s something special and unique when you hear a song you love for the first time. That sparkle can lead to creative inspiration.
5. Throw a dance party – One of the best ways to just kickstart your emotions and get that adrenaline going is to throw a good ‘ole dance party. It can be just you alone in your bedroom or with a group of friends. No matter what the setting, just let loose and have fun! Letting everything out on the dance floor is a good artistic cleanse.
Today is the day to do something artistic and see what it inspires in you. Just go out there and take in something. You never know, maybe next year your art will be inspiring someone else!
- 5 Ways To Find the Best (and Doable) Resolution On “Make Up Your Mind Day” - December 30, 2016
- 5 Ways To Show Self-Love, Whether It’s Valentine’s or Not! - February 10, 2016
- Human Rights Day is December 10: Here’s How to Impact Social Change - December 2, 2015
- Five Ways to Help Kids and Inspire Art In Your Community - March 2, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Break Creative Mental Blocks - January 30, 2015
- Dream On (Really!): 5 Ways To Make Your Dream A Reality - January 14, 2015
- Help Eliminate AIDS: Celebrate World AIDS Day - December 2, 2014
- 5 Ways To Up Your Work Game By Using The Rules of Improvisational Comedy - December 2, 2014
- Yes, Please To All That: Why I Love Amy Poehler - November 28, 2014
- Help Stop Domestic Violence With The #NoMore Campaign - November 21, 2014