The tween from Canton, Georgia started her own line of eco-clothes and accessories called Maya’s Ideas way back in 2008. “I always loved to find fabrics around the house and say well, this might make a good headband or a good hat or something, and then one day I thought I could probably make a shop,” she told My Fox Atlanta. “These are a lot of the fabrics that I might use for my tank tops or my bags, purses, hats.”
On her Etsy site, she sells a wide variety of beautiful, creative items, such as $20 white lace earrings or a $145 “hand knitted chunky neck warmer, accented with recycled green cotton fabric strips.Generously warm and cozy. Handwritten on the fabric strips are positive affirmations of love and peace in different languages.” Her most popular item is a headband with black lace sewed on top, according to an article in Forbes.
Here’s another reason we love Maya: 10 percent of her profits are donated to Atlanta-area charities. “”I like making people happy through my items, but some people may not have the money to purchase my items, so I try to help other people and make them happy through donating,” she told My Fox Atlanta.
For more on eco-fashion, check out our story on the Green Carpet Challenge!
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018