We often forget that “going the extra mile” isn’t just altruistic.
Of course it feels wonderful to go above and beyond–whether in your business, work, school, friendships, holidays–because it just feels like the right thing to do. Rather than being “a means to an end,” giving it your all becomes the end itself.
But if you’ve got goals and visions of a better day/life/world, then odds are going above and beyond is also going to help YOU out in the long run, not just the person/project/company/school you’re giving 100% for. From Lifehacker’s The Extra Mile Is Never Crowded:
Every day, when you start your projects, you get to decide how much effort you’re going to put in. A little, the normal amount, or go completely overboard. Few choose that last option, which gives you an advantage.
Should you feel bad about this?
Never feel bad for doing good or giving good, and experiencing good in return.
So how do decide when to go all in, or graciously decline?
I strive to be compassionate and generous in all areas of my life–letting another car pull in front of me in a crowded lane, tipping more than 20%, smiling at people passing by, or walking a client through my design process so they feel included and comfortable.
That said, I also try to reserve my energy for things I care about. And only in the things I care about, do I go the extra mile.
- 4 Things Women who Practice Self-Love All Have in Common - November 20, 2017
- How To Know If You’re In A Toxic Relationship — And How To Take Action - October 10, 2017
- Renee’s Road: 4 Tips To Achieving Your Dreams Through Your Life’s Journey - October 10, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor: Reclaiming Your Voice with Renee Millington - October 10, 2017
- We All Need to Get Serious About Our Cyber Security – An Interview with an Identity Theft Warrior - October 6, 2017
- Like Fine Wine: How To Pick Wine Like A Boss with Sommelier Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 5 Tips On How To Mourn In A Healthy Way - October 5, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor Ep. 1: Resiliency with Michelle Erland - October 5, 2017
- 6 Pros + Cons of Being a Digital Nomad Who Makes Her Living from Her Laptop - August 7, 2017
- Mind of a Mentor – Hope Alcocer
Sharing Our Stories Heals Us (And Helps Us Kick Major Ass) - August 1, 2017