llen Johnson Sirleaf is Africa’s first democratically elected female president, and she’s used her leadership role to help secure peace in Liberia, promote economic and social development, and lift the position of women in her country; Leymah Gbowee mobilized and organized a women-led peace movement that ultimately brought an end to Liberia’s second civil war in 2003, and has since worked to ensure women play a significant role in politics in her country; and journalist Tawakkul Karman played a leading part in both the struggle for women’s rights and for democracy and peace in Yemen.
For this week’s Friday Five, we’ve gathered up thoughtful quotes from these three amazing leaders, and other Nobel Prize winning women. Which one has the greatest impact on you?
ONE: “If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”―Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2011
TWO: “We are now taking this stand to secure the future of our children because we believe as custodians of society tomorrow, our children will ask us, ‘Mama, what was your role during the crisis?'”―Leymah Gbowee, Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2011
THREE: “This prize is not for Tawakkul, it is for the whole Yemeni people, for the martyrs, for the cause of standing up to (Saleh) and his gangs. Every tyrant and dictator is upset by this prize because it confronts injustice.” ―Tawakkul Karman, Nobel Peace Prize Winner 2011
FOUR: “If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.”―Mother Teresa, Nobel Peace Prize Winner in 1979
FIVE: “What I treasure most in life is being able to dream. During my most difficult moments and complex situations I have been able to dream of a more beautiful future.”―Rigoberta Menchú Tum, Nobel Peace Prize Winner, 1992
Read more about this year’s Nobel Prize Winners here. Are there other women peace workers who inspire you?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018