A few days ago, we told you about National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, and a cool contest that can help teens create healthier body images. Now, as this important week wraps up, we want to provide Like a Boss girls with some additional resources to help you think about this serious issue — and what you can do to make a difference: AND THEY ARE ALL BOOKS!
We love young adult literature and non-fiction because it provides an easy entry point into serious issues, such as anorexia and bulimia. These books not only help teens empathize with one another’s struggles — they also provide interested teens with valuable statistics and resources, too. Here are a few you might want to check out:
ONE: Perfect by Natasha Friend: A young girl is in therapy to stop her bulimia — and also work through her painful feelings over her father’s death. But when she bonds with a popular girl who also suffers from an eating disorder, they begin an unhealthy friendship.
TWO: Ask Elizabeth by Elizabeth Berkely: Written by celebrity Elizabeth Berkely, this clever scrapbook helps girls work through a number of issues, including eating disorders, and includes Berkley’s reflections on her own experiences.
THREE: Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson: Two best friends share a bond — and competition — over their eating disorders, which lead to one character’s death from repetitive vomiting.
FOUR: Purge by Sarah Darer Littman: In this book, a bulimic teen is sent to a residential treatment facility, determined not to get better — but comes to realize she needs help. This was written by an author who suffered from bulimia, and she includes resources for other teens who need help.
FIVE: Perfect by Ellen Hopkins: This is a thick, free verse poetry book that deals with a lot of body issues, including anorexia, plastic surgery and steroid use.
Can you add a recommendation to this list? What other books have you read about eating disorders or body image?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018