Yesterday was World Water Day, which The United Nations’ General Assembly first designated on March 22, 1993. The aim is to focus attention on fresh water — and make sure we are doing all we can to ensure there is enough for the 7 billion people on the Earth to share.
We found ourselves thinking a lot about Rachel Beckwith, a 9-year-old car crash victim whose tragic death inspired people to donate more than a million dollars to a cause she cared about, Charity:Water, a nonprofit bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations.
Of course monetary donations are super important to keeping organizations like Charity:Water flowing — but we wanted to think about other ways that teens could honor World Water Day and Rachel’s memory. Here are a few ideas for this FRIDAY 5:
ONE: Use and Reuse. When you switch out your plastic bottles for a reusable alternative, you will save six gallons of water a day, according to The Ecology Center.
TWO: Go Vegetarian. Skip the meat for one day, and save 800 gallons of water per meal, according to The Ecology Center.
THREE: Speak Up. Educate your family and friends about simple ways to save water, such as turning off the tap when brushing your teeth, or watering your garden in early morning or late evening. For more simple ideas from the Environmental Protection Agency, click here.
FOUR: Give Your Time. You can make a big difference volunteering at organizations, such as Charity:Water. Click here to find out about opportunities, including how to bring the organization to your school.
FIVE: Get creative. You can use your artistic talents to bring attention to the importance of water in our lives by entering the Rachel Carson Sense of Wonder Contest. This is a unique inter-generational poetry, essay, photo and dance contest sponsored by the EPA, Generations United, the Dance Exchange, Rachel Carson Council, Inc., and the National Center for Creative Aging.
What other ways can you think of to make sure the world has enough water?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018