For many Americans, the holiday season means a time of major shopping. But while all that gift buying can boost the economy, it can produce lots of packaging that’s hard on the environment, too. And that’s before you add the gift wrap!
So before you motivate to the mall with your shopping list, take a look at five easy ideas for greening the holidays. Think of these as gifts you can give Mother Nature:
Green Wrap Gifts
Wrap your gifts in newspaper, fabric or recycled holiday paper. This little gesture can have a big impact! According to The Ecology Center, if every family in the U.S. chose to wrap just three gifts with reused materials, it would save enough paper to cover 45,000 football fields!
Buy Out of the Box
Look for gifts without a lot of packaging. Think about gift cards, movie tickets or making some yummy homemade baked treats. You can also make a donation to a charity in someone’s name. Don’t know where to donate? Take a look at some of the girls and women behind some amazing projects on our website.
Bring your reusable bags when you shop. Even better than recycling those plastic bags is not to get any to begin with!
Make Your Own Creation
Arty girls: This can be a chance to let your talents shine! Think about painting a picture or writing a song for someone on your gift list. Check out our ideas for creative girls to find some inspiration.
Pack Your Own Glass
Bring your own reusable water bottle with you when you shop. You know all that shopping is going to make you thirst –and hauling your own H2O is a way better option than springing for a plastic water bottle. Did you know that US consumers use 1,500 plastic water bottles every second? And only a fraction of those make it to the recycling bin. So fill up a mason jar before hitting the stores.
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018