There are plenty of Hollywood stars that support good causes. But not many of them spend as much time and energy helping those causes as actor Sophia Bush.
But you might not be familiar with her dedication to the environment, education and personal empowerment. This is one celebrity that puts her money (and energy) where her mouth is. Celebrity watchers breathlessly gab about her romantic life and fashion choices, but we’re more impressed by how Sophia Bush gets it done.
Here are the top five reasons we think Sophia Bush is a captivating Like A Boss Girl.
1. One Part Ass-Kicking + One Part Empathy = Takedown of a Stalker
There’s a point where an obnoxious troll becomes a violent threat, and Bush’s stalker crossed that line. The over 500 tweets portended physical harm. While Bush said she felt terrorized, it wasn’t until the stalker started bullying her fans that she blasted back.
In an effort to make Bush’s followers think she was sending them negative tweets (encouraging fans to commit suicide, no less), the stalker used a Twitter handle to harass her fans was only one letter away from Bush’s actual twitter account, As Bush put it “This kind of behavior does. Not. Fly.”
Though she contacted the police, there was little they could do. So she posted the stalker a missive on Instagram, calling the perpetrator out.
It could have been a nasty screed filled with insults and retaliatory threats. Instead she articulately voiced her anger but also asked the bully to get help and, “please learn to love yourself.”
2. Her T-Shirt Kicks Their T-Shirts Ass
She announced that she is boycotting the company and gave them a public lashing: “I am sickened that anyone, on any board, in your gigantic company would have voted ‘yes’ on such a thing, let alone enough of you to manufacture an item with such a hurtful message. It’s like handing a suicidal person a loaded gun. You should know better.”
3. She’s A Fundraising Superstar
Bush’s activism isn’t limited to the occasional awards speech. The actress has executed 12 Crowdrise fundraisers and raised over a quarter of a million dollars for different charities.
When she saw the devastating results of the BP oil spill in the gulf, she went down to Grand Isle with Global Green USA to check the situation out herself (and nearly got herself arrested in the process). She followed that up with two Crowdrise campaigns and raised over $33,000 for Global Green.
Other charities she’s raised money for include Pencils of Promise, The Nature Conservancy, Art of Elysium, Little Kids Rock, National Wildlife Humane Society, Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust, and the David Lynch Foundation.
Now that’s a busy activist!
4. Asthma and Injury Can’t Stop Her Fundraising
In 2010, Bush signed up for a half-marathon despite the fact that she has chronic knee injury, suffers from asthma and hadn’t run a mile since she was thirteen.
None the less, she participated in the Battleship Half-Marathon in Wilmington, NC. She didn’t let the fact that she wasn’t a runner dissuade her. She signed up as a walker and used the event as an opportunity to raise additional funds for Global Green. And she must have been walking at a good clip because she finished in 3 hours and 15 minutes!
And she didn’t stop there. The next year she ran a 5K—for a good cause, of course. She raised money for the Nature Conservancy, promoted volunteerism and hosted the “Fundraiser Superstar Tent” for people who raised $1,000 or more for charity!
5. She Makes a Mean Pancake (A Few Thousand At a Time).
She plays a Chicago-based cop on television, but in real life, she makes pancakes for them. To help raise money to buy 8,000 desperately-needed bulletproof vests for the Chicago police department, the Chicago Police Memorial held a pancake breakfast. Bush got behind the grill and started flippin’ those flapjacks (and with 1500 hungry people at the breakfast, that’s a lot of flipping).
- One-Upping Zuckerberg: 10 Women Who Manage Startups and School (And Don’t Drop Out) - December 12, 2016
- How to Use LinkedIn Like A Boss - November 30, 2016
- 3 Ways To Develop Your Startup’s Signature Story and Connect With Customers - October 14, 2016
- Cut Student Loan Payments and Fund A Dream Biz Instead (With IBRP, It’s Legit) - October 13, 2016
- Five Ways Sophia Bush Inspires The Boss Girl In All of Us - October 6, 2016
- Try This No-Fail Plan For Moving Out and Living on Your Own - October 4, 2016
- Everything You Need To Know About Being A First Generation College Student - September 22, 2016
- Declutter and Decorate: How To Amp Up Your Bedroom Decor To Reflect Your Signature Style - September 22, 2016
- Pimp Your Office Decor: Style Out Your Workspace And Maximize Success - August 9, 2016
- When Silence is Golden: 5 Things to Never Say in a Job Interview - August 8, 2016