Based on Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn’s best-selling book book by the same name, Half the Sky was produced by a team of filmmakers who traveled around the world to bring powerful, often heartbreaking, stories about the plight of women and girls in countries everywhere into view.
Here’s a blurb from the film’s page on PBS’s website:
Filmed in 10 countries, the series follows Nicholas Kristof and celebrity activists America Ferrera, Diane Lane, Eva Mendes, Meg Ryan, Gabrielle Union and Olivia Wilde on a journey to tell the stories of inspiring, courageous individuals. Across the globe oppression is being confronted, and real meaningful solutions are being fashioned through health care, education, and economic empowerment for women and girls.
The linked problems of sex trafficking and forced prostitution, gender-based violence, and maternal mortality — which needlessly claim one woman every 90 seconds — present to us the single most vital opportunity of our time: the opportunity to make a change. All over the world women are seizing this opportunity.
We loved this film. It was beautifully produced and it’s impossible to watch it and not feel compelled to join the fight for girls and women everywhere. The film reminds us that this is a global problem and it’s going to take a global solution to address what they refer to as the human rights cause of the century.
Watch this trailer for Half the Sky for a sneak peak:
You can watch more scenes from Half the Sky on PBS’s website, and you can also order a DVD through Amazon here, download through iTunes, or read the Half the Sky book that inspired the film! The film will be in wide release starting November 12!
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018