If you’re a regular watcher of the very popular Ellen DeGeneres Show, Ellen’s “heart of gold” is already apparent. But if you’re new to Ellen, look no further than the section of her website called “Ellen’s Picks” and you’ll understand why we’re highlighting Ellen this month. When you explore this corner of her website, you’ll gain insight into some of Ellen’s passions including vegan cooking, anti-bullying, and cruelty-free practices for animals.
Of her many causes and passions, Ellen is perhaps best known for her commitment to animals. DeGeneres is an ethical vegan and has desribed hersef as a “big animal lover.” In 2008, Ellen and her wife Portia de Rossi made a commitment to be free of animal products (including becoming vegan). She coordinates a vegan outreach website titled Going Vegan with Ellen which includes cooking tips as well information about why you might want to choose a vegan lifestyle. DeGeneres even served as campaign ambassador to the Adopt-A-Turkey Project in 2010, asking people to adopt a turkey instead of eating one at Thanksgiving.
In addition to her commitment to veganism, Ellen’s show dedicates many segments to the love and care of pets. You can check out plenty of fun and touching videos, pictures, and pet stories on her show’s website. Ellen uses creative platforms to promote her mission to help animals, including a Facebook game called “JoyKingdom.”
Ellen’s work on behalf of animals and pets has been recognized by many organizations devoted to animal rights. In 2011, Ellen was recognized with the PETCO Foundation’s HOPE Award, which is given to public figures who promote a healthy bond between humans and animals. And in 2009, PETA named Ellen the woman of the year.
But don’t expect Ellen to toot her own horn. She’s just living the way she thinks is right. In accepting her PETCO Foundation HOPE Award, Ellen said, “’I wish we lived in a world where caring for animals wasn’t so rare that it deserved an award. All I do is treat animals with the respect and dignity they deserve. I hope someday soon, everyone does the same.”
- 10 Qualities of Successful Entrepreneurs (and How To Cop Them Yourself) - September 15, 2017
- You Gotta Look Out for #1. Don’t Forget to Take Care of You! - August 20, 2016
- Five Cures for the Common Collegiate Meltdown - August 5, 2016
- Whether You’re a Student or a Student of Life, Here’s How to Face Your Career Fears Like A Boss - July 8, 2016
- How Do You Find Your Passions? Try These 6 Tips - January 25, 2016
- Networking for Introverts: 5 Tips to Build Your Professional Circle Now - November 17, 2015
- How To Ask For a Favor—and Get a “Yes” - July 27, 2015
- Where to Volunteer? 5 Factors to Consider - September 30, 2014
- Spotlight On: Feminism = Equality - March 18, 2014
- Cause of the Month: Girls for a Change - March 4, 2014