Latest posts by Deborah Reber (see all)
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
Our theme this month is CELEBRITY, and so we’re featuring a cause that is strongly supported by celebrities around the world, The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF).
The EGPAF is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing pediatric HIV infection and eliminating pediatric AIDS through research, advocacy, and prevention, care, and treatment programs.
The organization was founded in 1988, named after a woman named Elizabeth Glaser who contracted HIV through a blood transfusion in 1981 while giving birth to her daughter, Ariel.
Elizabeth Glaser contracted HIV in a blood transfusion in 1981 while giving birth to her daughter, Ariel. Elizabeth unknowingly passed the virus on to Ariel through breast milk and that their son, Jake, had contracted the virus in utero. After her daughter lost her battle with AIDS in 1988, Elizabeth and her friends Susie Zeegen and Susan DeLaurentis created a foundation that would raise money for pediatric HIV/AIDS research, initially in hopes of helping her son.
Elizabeth lost her own battle with AIDS in 1994, but her son Jake is a healthy adult, and her legacy lives on through the work of her namesake foundation, which now works in over 15 countries around the world.
There are many ways to get involved in the important and powerful work of the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. Here are a few ideas:
- Donate: A donation of just $19 could reach one pregnant woman with the services she needs to prevent transmission of HIV to her baby. Check our ideas for raising money for a cause if you want your dollars to have a bigger impact!
- Get political: Read up on how you can impact how leaders approach important issues relating to pediatric HIV and AIDS!
- Organize an Event: Host a picnic, share your birthday, or participate in a race to support EGPAF. Click here to find out more!
- Participate: Get involved and support EGPAF’s work by attending one of their events
- Get involved with Up 4 the Fight: Join this youth-centric initiative that’s all about engaging, empowering, and uniting young people around the world to help in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS.
Watch this powerful video about the history of AIDS over the past 30 years!