At Like a Boss, we love to see girls speak up on the issues they feel passionate about and know that their voices are important and worthy of being heard. We also love it when girls feel empowered enough to speak up even when the person they hope hears them might seem to be completely unreachable.
So we just had to share the story of a high school sophomore who’s creating a stir in the world of media and politics. Last week, 16-year-old Amy Myers from Cherry Hill, NJ challenged Michele Bachman, a Republican Congresswoman from Minnesota, to a debate!
In Amy’s letter to Representative Bachman, she explains why she’d like to have a one-on-one back-and-forth. Here’s an excerpt:
As a typical high school student, I have found quite a few of your statements regarding The Constitution of the United States, the quality of public school education and general U.S. civics matters to be factually incorrect, inaccurately applied or grossly distorted. The frequency and scope of these comments prompted me to write this letter.
Though I am not in your home district, or even your home state, you are a United States Representative of some prominence who is subject to national media coverage. News outlets and websites across this country profile your causes and viewpoints on a regular basis. As one of a handful of women in Congress, you hold a distinct privilege and responsibility to better represent your gender nationally. The statements you make help to serve an injustice to not only the position of Congresswoman, but women everywhere. Though politically expedient, incorrect comments cast a shadow on your person and by unfortunate proxy, both your supporters and detractors alike often generalize this shadow to women as a whole.
Representative Bachman hasn’t responded to the challenge, but we’ll let you know what happens. And either way, we applaud Amy for taking action about an issue she feels passionate about. Whether the debate happens or not, she’s reminding girls everywhere to share their POV about issues that matter to them, no matter how big or small!
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018