What it’s all about: The first “Day of Silence” was held in 1996 as a symbolic way to call attention to the silencing effects of bullying individuals who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). Students who participate in the Day of Silence take a vow of silence on April 20th, in order to promote safer schools and take a stand against harassment. By 2008, the Day of Silence had reached over 8,000 middle schools, high schools, colleges and universities across the country. And you can be a part of it too…April 20th is just around the corner.
The Day of Silence is just one event affiliated with the “Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network” (GLSEN), which is a national education organization devoted to creating safer schools and eliminating harassment of LGBT students.
There are a number of ways you can get involved with the Day of Silence and GLSEN! Here are just a few…
- Register and Participate: Go to the “Register” page of the Day of Silence website. Let them know you’re planning to participate, and you’ll also receive resources and news updates.
- Tweet the Silence: If you have a twitter account and plan to be silent on April 20th, tweet about it! Tweet the following: “On April 20th, I will be silent for #DayOfSilence because…” and give your reason.
- Organize a Day of Silence event at your own school: The Day of Silence website provides resources and a helpful guide if you’d like to organize an event at your school in support of Day of Silence. Follow their steps, and get prepared!
- Apply to become a GLSEN Student Ambassador: Would you like to take your commitment to anti-bullying a step further? Apply to become a GLSEN Student Ambassador!
- Visit the Day of Silence website
- Visit GLSEN’s website:
- Day of Silence on Facebook
- GLSEN’s YouTube channel
- Follow GLSEN on Twitter
Here, Lance Bass talks about the Day of Silence, which is fast approaching:
GLSEN student ambassadors talk about their experience:
- 10 Qualities of Successful Entrepreneurs (and How To Cop Them Yourself) - September 15, 2017
- You Gotta Look Out for #1. Don’t Forget to Take Care of You! - August 20, 2016
- Five Cures for the Common Collegiate Meltdown - August 5, 2016
- Whether You’re a Student or a Student of Life, Here’s How to Face Your Career Fears Like A Boss - July 8, 2016
- How Do You Find Your Passions? Try These 6 Tips - January 25, 2016
- Networking for Introverts: 5 Tips to Build Your Professional Circle Now - November 17, 2015
- How To Ask For a Favor—and Get a “Yes” - July 27, 2015
- Where to Volunteer? 5 Factors to Consider - September 30, 2014
- Spotlight On: Feminism = Equality - March 18, 2014
- Cause of the Month: Girls for a Change - March 4, 2014