2012 is the 40th anniversary of the Clean Water Act, which “establishes the basic structure for regulating discharges of pollutants into the waters of the United States and regulating quality standards for surface waters,” according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Clean water and a healthy environment is something we know makes waves with young activists: At the end of last year, we told you about Rachel Beckwith, a 9-year-old car crash victim whose death inspired people to donate more than a million dollars to a cause she cared about, Charity:Water, a nonprofit bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations.
Now, we’re telling you about another effort to make us think about the importance of water in our lives: the Rachel Carson Sense of Wonder Contest, a unique inter-generational poetry, essay, photo and dance contest sponsored by the EPA, Generations United, the Dance Exchange, Rachel Carson Council, Inc., and the National Center for Creative Aging.
Here’s the deal: “Entries must be from a team of two or more persons, a young person and an older person. The creative work should express the ‘Sense of Water’ that your team feels for the sea, a lake, a river, a stream, waterfall, the fish and wildlife that inhabit water.”
What we love about this contest is that it both gets girls and teens in touch with nature, but also helps them strengthen a connection with an older mentor in their lives, like a grandparent. Click here to find out more about the contest, including how to download a contest form. All entries are due on June 1, 2012.
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018