Girls who code are going the way of the dinosaur, and that is scarier than an angry T-Rex. In 1984, over a third of all computer science graduates were women. Today females make up just 12% of those getting computer science degrees – just over a tenth. And only 0.4% of high school girls say they’ll major in Computer Science. Major WTF time, right?
This is a serious problem—for girls, for computer science, for the world. As supermodel Karlie Kloss put it, “understanding code is so important because it’s the language that runs our world!” That’s why she’s a strong supporter, and student, of Girls Who Code, an organization whose programs “inspire, educate, and equip girls with the computing skills to pursue 21st century opportunities.” By showcasing successful engineers, supporting entrepreneurs, providing mentors and guest speakers, and offering lots of classes in programming, web and mobile development and robotics, Girls Who Code‘s goal is to provide computer science education to a million young women by 2020, giving them the guidance, motivation and hard skills they need to become the “technologists of tomorrow.”
Right now there are Girls Who Code clubs in almost 30 states, and they’ll support you if you want to start a new club where you live. They also have a summer immersion program where high school girls can take a 7-week intensive computer science course and gain exposure to role models and mentors within the high tech industry. (Girls Who Code offers this course in lots of cities around the country, so if you’re interested check out the program at the Girls Who Code website.)
So impressed with the classes they offer, Girls Who Code superfan Karlie Kloss sponsored a Kode with Karlie scholarship for 20 teen girls interested in a two-week summer program at the Flatiron School in New York City. “Code is only going to continue to play a major role in defining our future,” explains Kloss. “I think it’s crucial that young women learn to code as early as possible to ensure that we as young women have a voice and a stake in what the world looks like.”
No matter what your plans for ultimate Bossery, coding skills would be a strong—if not vital—part of your world domination-y plans. Find out how you can take classes or get involved at girlswhocode.com!
- WOMEN MARCH FORWARD TOGETHER – LIKE BOSSES! - January 22, 2018
- HOW TO NOT SEXUALLY HARASS WOMEN: A GUIDE FOR MEN - January 4, 2018
- Just Say No! 5 Ways I’m Slaying BullSh*t - January 3, 2018
- The Ultimate Reading List to Brand Yourself Like a Boss Girl - December 31, 2017
- So You Want to Be a Consultant? How to Make Mad Money Off Your Expertise - December 28, 2017
- Why I Won’t Be Coming to Holiday Dinner - December 20, 2017
- Sexual Harassment, Al Franken, & Common Sense - November 29, 2017
- Be Contagious! The 5 Essential Rules for Effective Social Media Marketing - November 13, 2017
- #ThemToo: Sexual Harassment in Washington DC - November 9, 2017
- WOMEN HAVE SPOKEN UP with #MeToo – TIME FOR MEN TO STEP UP - November 1, 2017