Selena Gomez is one seriously busy teen. Though her big break came on the Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place, Selena has made her mark on the world of pop music, film, and fashion, too. But when she’s not starring in a new film or developing her new fashion line, Selena Gomez is hard at work on another passion: volunteering and philanthropy.
In a 2007 interview with PBS Kids—when her career was just taking off—Selena said she had plans to become more involved in philanthropy, and stressed the importance of volunteer work and advocating for children, the environment, and even abused pets.
She’s certainly been true to her word. Between tour dates and filming schedules, Selena gives her time to several important causes, many of which are geared towards helping children. Just this past Valentine’s Day, Selena held a contest where fans could create handmade Valentine’s cards for a special prize, and all cards were distributed to patients at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
In September 2009, Selena became the youngest UNICEF Ambassador ever in the United States. She explains why on the UNICEF website: “Everyday 25,000 children die from preventable causes. I stand with UNICEF in the belief that we can change that number from 25,000 to zero…I know we can achieve this because every moment, UNICEF is on the ground providing children with the lifesaving assistance needed to ensure zero becomes a reality.”
In connection with her role as ambassador, Selena has traveled the world, including trips to Ghana and Chile. Here are just a few of Selena’s recent philanthropic activities on behalf of UNICEF:
- Tap Project, which raises money to provide clean drinking water for children all over the world.
- Trick or Treat for UNICEF, a fundraiser where kids can collect coins along with their Halloween candy to raise money for children abroad.
- ELIMINATE Project, to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus.
Selena’s new fashion line is called “Dream out Loud,” a fitting title for someone who uses her voice so passionately to advocate for children around the world who need our help.
To learn more about Selena Gomez’s charitable efforts and how you can help, check out the following:
- Selena’s website: Be sure to read her “3 steps to take action!”
- Selena Gomez on Facebook, where she frequently posts information about her current projects and work for UNICEF.
- Selena Gomez on Twitter
To see more about Selena’s work with UNICEF, watch this video from CNN:
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018