While shooting the film, she witnessed firsthand the refugee situation in Cambodia, and quickly learned about the numerous individuals around the world who have been displaced from their homes.
She soon began making mission trips to the field, and by 2001, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) named Angelina a “Goodwill Ambassador.” Since then, she has visited forty different countries in order to bring attention to the refugee situation and educate others.
In 2012, Angelina was rewarded for her years of service when the High Commissioner of UNHCR appointed her as his Special Envoy. In this role, Angelina focuses on large-scale crises resulting in displacement of mass numbers of people.
In addition to her work for UNHCR, Angelina has traveled around the world to support disaster relief, vulnerable children, environmental conservation, and international law and justice efforts. She was even invited to the World Economic Forum, which brings together business leaders, international political leaders, selected intellectuals and journalists to discuss the most pressing issues facing the world.
Along with Brad Pitt, Angelina created the “Jolie-Pitt Foundation,” lending financial support to various charitable causes around the world. As an Oscar-nominated actress and Hollywood celebrity, she could stop there. But Angelina has donated not just money, but her time, heart, and soul. She hasn’t been afraid to get up close and personal with the reality of a refugee’s life. For more on Angelina’s missions and service, read her profile on the UNHCR website.
And watch this interview with Angelina, talking about her ten years of experiences working with refugees:
- 10 Qualities of Successful Entrepreneurs (and How To Cop Them Yourself) - September 15, 2017
- You Gotta Look Out for #1. Don’t Forget to Take Care of You! - August 20, 2016
- Five Cures for the Common Collegiate Meltdown - August 5, 2016
- Whether You’re a Student or a Student of Life, Here’s How to Face Your Career Fears Like A Boss - July 8, 2016
- How Do You Find Your Passions? Try These 6 Tips - January 25, 2016
- Networking for Introverts: 5 Tips to Build Your Professional Circle Now - November 17, 2015
- How To Ask For a Favor—and Get a “Yes” - July 27, 2015
- Where to Volunteer? 5 Factors to Consider - September 30, 2014
- Spotlight On: Feminism = Equality - March 18, 2014
- Cause of the Month: Girls for a Change - March 4, 2014