Our theme this April is the Environment, and that’s why we’ve decided to feature Earth Day as our official Cause of the Month!
The first Earth Day took place in 1970, and it’s thought to be the beginning of the modern environmental movement. Growing out of that first Earth Day, Earth Day Network (EDN) works with over 22,000 partners in 192 countries to broaden, diversify and mobilize the environmental movement. More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
This year’s theme for Earth Day is MOBILIZE THE EARTH™. From the Earth Day site:
People of all nationalities and backgrounds will voice their appreciation for the planet and demand its protection. Together we will stand united for a sustainable future and call upon individuals, organizations, and governments to do their part.
Earth Day is a day for action; a chance to show how important the environment is to you. Whether you organize an event in your community or teach a peer about environmental issues, Earth Day is about uniting voices around the globe in support of a healthy planet.
The Earth Day website has a ton of ideas for ways we can get involved to have our voices heard on April 22 and make a contribution that can have a lasting impact. Here are some of their suggestions:
* Attend an Earth Day Event: You can read about official Earth Day events happening around the country here by scrolling through different highlighted happenings or searching for things going on near you.
* Organize Your Own Event or Create a Day of Service: Use your imagination and think about how you and your friends can rally around the cause to create an event that’s uniquely and powerfully you. Once you’ve come up with a plan, fill in this form on the Earth Day site to have your event posted for everyone to see and support.
* Pledge an Act of Green: Go online and pledge to do an “act of green” to be counted in the Earth Day Billion Acts of Green campaign. Their goal is 1 billion pledged acts by April 22 (current count is just over 800,000,000). Acts of green can be anything from biking to school and switching out lightbulbs in your home to planting a garden and starting a petition. See what other people are pledging to and add yours to the list here.
* Sign the Earth Day Petition: The Earth Day Network has created a Global Energy Petition demanding the adoption of renewable energy and energy efficiency targets, universal renewable energy access, and an end to all fossil fuel subsidies. They plan to deliver the signed petition to world leaders at the UN Conference on Sustainable Development in Rio this June. Make sure your name is on the petition by signing here!
To find out more about Earth Day, visit these sites dedicated to environmental awareness, global climate change, and empowering people to take action on Earth Day and everyday:
We want to hear from you…how are YOU going to celebrate Earth Day?
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018