When you hear the words “Step Up,” you probably envision battling B-boys and dance romance, thanks to the popular movie series. But did you know there’s also an awesome women’s empowerment organization by the same name? Yep, Step Up Women’s Network is a non-profit dedicated to helping women and girls make a powerful impact in their communities and careers. It’s all about igniting your potential—these girls are on fire!
One of the ways SUWN furthers its cause is through its teen empowerment initiatives. Designed to give opportunities to urban high school students living at or below the federal poverty level, the teen program provides 100 hours per year of enrichment programming to each girl. From photography workshops titled “When I Am President” to panels titled “Future Wears Heels,” SUWN helps make career education fun and accessible. And it’s working: more than 85% of Step Up girls report feeling positive about themselves, and 100% of Step Up seniors graduated high school during 2010 and 2011.
Another thing we heart about SUWN is the juicy networking opportunities available to its members of all ages. From “power breakfasts” to the Inspiration Awards (which have honored women like “Modern Family” actress Ariel Winter and fashion designer Trina Turk), there is no shortage of ways for SUWN sisters to get inspired and meet fellow changemakers.
Want to support the efforts of Step Up Women’s Network? Find out how:
Accessorize. Katrina Kelly Jewelry designed a limited edition “Life Charm” as part of its 7 Layers of Love collection, and 100% of proceeds benefit Step Up. Check it out here.
Travel the world. Book a trip through Inspirato, and SUWN will receive $2,000. Trips to places like Italy, Hawaii and Mexico—and a way to help girls and women? Sign us up.
Donate. Do it the old fashioned money, and dip into that piggy bank to help this wonderful non-profit. Click here to help out.
Get the full 411 on Step Up Women’s Network in this powerful video:
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014