Clean drinking water should be a basic fundamental human right….right? Yet 800 million people all over the world go without this necessity that so many of us take for granted every single day. That’s where charity: water comes in. This non-profit is dedicated to bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations—people who otherwise have to “dig with their children in sand for water, or line up at a well and wait eight hours for a turn.”
Here’s why their work is so important: 30,000 deaths occur every single week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions—and 90% of those dying are under five years old. Many diseases can be prevented simply by improving water supply, sanitation and hygiene, and charity:water helps accomplish just that by setting up freshwater wells, rainwater catchments and sand filters.
And here’s something else we love about charity:water: they follow a 100% model, which means that all public donations go directly to funding water projects. (charity:water pays its salaries and covers operating expenses via private donors, foundations and sponsors.) The model seems to be working—charity: water served more than three million people in 2012.
Want to support the efforts of charity:water? Find out how:
Go shopping! The charity:water store has some awesome stuff like wristbands, playing cards, hoodies and even bicycles. 100% of proceeds benefit water projects, so it’s a worthy way to spend your hard-earned dough! Check it out here.
Pledge your b-day. Make your birthday meaningful by doing a fundraising campaign in lieu of getting gifts—you’ll be rewarded with photos of the completed water project and even a GPS to see where it’s happening.
Donate. Did you know that $20 can provide clean water for one person? Give the gift of H20 here.
See how water really does change everything in this charity:water video:
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014