Do you think all youth deserve a great future? Join the club — the Boys and Girls Clubs of America, that is. With close to 4,000 clubs in communities around the U.S., this youth organization provides a safe, affordable place for kids to have fun, develop their character and learn new things outside of school. And, in light of our “Academics” theme for March, we’re thrilled to feature the Boys and Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) as our Cause of the Month. (We’re not the only ones: for 18 years in a row, The Chronicle of Philanthropy has placed the BGCA at the top of its Philanthropy 400 list! Pretty impressive.)
The BGCA was first founded more than 150 years ago in 1860 by three women who wanted to give kids a positive alternative to roaming the streets. One of our favorite moments in its long and impressive history came in 1990, when the original name of “Boys Clubs of America” was amended to include “Girls.” And it’s still going strong today, with celebs like Keke Palmer helping to lead the charge. From learning photography to staging a play to playing sports to even making robots, the BGCA offers kids all kinds of amazing opportunities at a cost everyone can afford.
And guess what? You can help! There are lots of ways to get involved with the BGCA and make a difference in kids’ lives.
Stay informed: Sign up for the BGCA newsletter and get the scoop on what’s happening at clubs around the world. You can also get a free wallpaper for your computer!
Make a donation: Want to give money to a good cause? Click here to donate to the BGCA.
Give your time: Find out if there is a club in your area and visit its website to see how you can help.
Check out this amazing video featuring notable BGCA alumni such as Jennifer Lopez, Kerry Washington, Jackie Joyner-Kersee and many more!
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014