A Girl’s Guide to Fitting in Fitness (by Erin Whitehead and Jennipher Walters) helps and guides teen girls to achieve a healthier lifestyle. These two women have many years of fitness and workout experience, as well as journalism degrees. With many articles published in magazines and vast knowledge about healthy living, Erin and Jennipher have come together to create a book of tips and reminders to be fit and stay in shape—as well as thoroughly explain why it is important.
In this practical, applicable and easy-to-follow manner, “Real Teen Tips” and “Myth Busting” are contained throughout the guide, as well as charts and diagrams to visually aid you. This book has nine in-depth chapters, and at the end of each one, a detailed workout with illustrations usually follows. After reading each chapter, I tried most of the exercises including yoga, a stress-buster and a morning workout, which had boosted my energy levels, just like this guide had said an early exercise would do.
I recommend reading this book in chapters from the most prioritized or interesting chapter to the least by using the table of contents. From serious issues like eating disorders and stress to more fun and exciting topics like summertime activities and music choices for different workouts, this book covers many areas of a healthy lifestyle. At the end of the book, a list of internet resources that range from websites with nutritious recipes to online fitness journals are provided.
While reading this guide, I could relate to the main issue this fitness guide brought up: time management. Most teenagers with the stress of schoolwork, grades, extracurricular activities and just being busy in general put their health aside— swapping a greasy burger and fries for a healthy, well-balanced meal or an extra hour of TV instead of an hour of jumprope or a sugary soda for water. This book has definitely brought awareness to the food choices I make, as well as how active I am during the day with all of the workouts that accommodate any schedule I have.
A Girl’s Guide to Fitting in Fitness also reminded me how important being fit is— physically and mentally—as a growing teenager and showed me how easy it can be stay in shape.
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014