February is African American History Month and a good time to honor heroes who have worked for justice and equality on a national or international stage, including role models in your own lives.
Since 1976, the month has been celebrated across America, and this year’s theme, Hallowed Grounds: Sites of African American Memories, was chosen “to bring attention to the centennial celebration of the National Park Service and the more than twenty-five sites and the Underground Railroad Network to Freedom that are part of America’s hallowed grounds, including the home of the father of black history, Dr. Carter G. Woodson.”
We at Like a Boss Girls, have our eyes on African-American artists, activists and entrepreneurs that we find particularly inspiring. Check out these inspiring quotes from some of our faves and keep this list growing by sharing your quotes that you love!
“Memories of our lives, of our works and our deeds will continue in others.”
–Rosa Parks, civil rights activist.
“Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it.”
–Oprah Winfrey, media mogul and philanthropist.
“Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage.”
–Maya Angelou, author and poet
“There is no royal flower-strewn path to success. And if there is, I have not found it — for if I have accomplished anything in life it is because I have been willing to work hard.”
—Madam C.J. Walker, entrepreneur
“And in my own life, in my own small way, I’ve tried to give back to this country that has given me so much. That’s why I left a job at a law firm for a career in public service, working to empower young people to volunteer in their communities. Because I believe that each of us – no matter what our age or background or walk of life – each of us has something to contribute to the life of this nation.”
—Michelle Obama, First Lady of the United States, pictures above.
- Build a Financial Plan [Business Plan Basics #8] - January 13, 2018
- Overview of the Management Team [Business Plan Basics #7] - January 12, 2018
- Create Your Operations Plan [Business Plan Basics #6] - January 11, 2018
- How To Create a Marketing Plan [Business Plan Basics #5] - January 10, 2018
- Who’s In Your Space? The Competitive Analysis [Business Plan Basics #4] - January 9, 2018
- Know Your People a.k.a. The Market Description [Business Plan Basics #3] - January 8, 2018
- Industry Analysis [Business Plan Basics #2] - January 8, 2018
- Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part B] - January 8, 2018
- Craft Your Business Description [Business Plan Basics #1] - January 8, 2018
- Start Here! Business Plan Basics [Intro: Part A] - January 8, 2018