Women are ‘winning’ in the TV and music industry. It didn’t take long to spot a handful of women with a “boss girl” fire within them for this week’s #BestoftheWeb. A woman broke a 15-year record held by five men. A vibrant teenager transformed into a talented and capable woman right before our very eyes. Another woman showed that talent and beauty increase with age. Yes! all of these wonderful things happened this week and more. You’re welcome! Now, read on to find out what we’re oohing and ahhing about this week in the world of entertainment.
- America’s Next Top Model: Canceled Series May Not Be Finished After All – TV Week
Rejoice!! There’s a high possibility that America’s Next Top Model won’t end after all. A new installment could be in “Top Model’s” future, extending it to cycle 23 and beyond. Since The CW’s mid-October announcement to cancel the series after 12 years and 22 seasons, Trya’s co-producer and co-creator, Kevin Mok, has been pitching cable TV networks and streaming services like Netflix, where it’s already popular. The globally successful show (32 international versions) is noted as one of the longest-running reality TV shows on the air today and the first reality show based in the fashion industry. If ANTM has a cycle 23 reboot, it can get back to what it does best – redefining beauty, fierce runway showdowns, tearful ‘Tyovers,’ shocking ‘Tyra Mail,’ and ‘smize’ tutorials. For now, watch cycle 22’s season finale on Dec. 4, 2015 on The CW. There’s really no way to calculate how many careers that Tyra has launched for women on ANTM. Take a look at what ANTM contestants have to say about the amazing, intense journey that Tyra has given to up-and-coming models:
- JLo Slays Her Opening Act, Kills It As Host Of The American Music Awards – Huffington Post
Jennifer Lopez set the pace for the AMAs right at the top of the show… “Tonight’s not about me. Tonight is about the music,” said Jennifer Lopez. “And this year’s music made me want to dance! Now who wants to dance with me? Alright, let’s dance.” Jennifer led a high powered dance medley to 2015’s hottest hits: Nicki Minaj’s ‘Anaconda,’ Taylor Swift’s ‘Bad Blood,’ Beyoncé’s ‘7/11,’ The Weeknd’s ‘Can’t Feel My Face,’ Drake’s ‘Hotline Bling,’ and Mark Ronson’s ‘Uptown Funk.’ At 49-years-old, JLo showed the world that she still has what it takes to be an incredible dancer and entertainer. After a night of amazing hosting and nine outfit changes, Jennifer Lopez truly made her mark on AMAs history as a first-time host.
- Adele’s ’25’ Became 2015’s Best-Selling Album In Just 3 Days – Forbes
What a record breaking week for Adele. According to Nielsen, by Monday morning, Adele’s newly released album ’25’ sold 2.3 million copies. By mid-week, it overtook *NSYNC for most albums sold in one week and Taylor Swift for 2015’s best-selling album (title Taylor held since 2014’s release of ‘1989’). Like Taylor Swift’s ‘1989,’ Adele kept ‘25’ off streaming services to increase album sales. Leave it to Adele to bring some excitement to a slow year for album sales. Congrats to Adele for a beautiful album and please… don’t wait another five years to launch your next masterpiece.
- Bindi Irwin Wins ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Season 21 & She Totally Deserves It – Bustle
The 17-year-old wildlife conservationist had never worn heels before the show; now she’s the latest winner to take away the mirror ball trophy. Bindi had been the front-runner since day one even though she wasn’t the best dancer on the show. Bindi consistently snagged great scores from the judges and captured a multitude of viewer votes with her charm and magnetic personality. “It truly has changed my life!” said Bindi after the big win. In the after show interview, Bindi’s mom gleamed with pride on how DWTS had helped her to transform from a girl to a woman. Bindi dedicated her DWTS experience to the honor of her late father Steve Irwin. He would’ve certainly been proud of his shining star of a daughter.
- #BestoftheWeb: Jessica Chastain, Kathleen Kennedy and Jennifer Lawrence - January 8, 2016
- #BestoftheWeb: Rachel Platten, Tori Kelly and Taylor Swift - January 1, 2016
- Philanthropy #BestoftheWeb: Melinda Gates, Rihanna and Dr. Priscilla Chan - December 4, 2015
- #BestoftheWeb: America’s Next Top Model, JLo and Adele - November 27, 2015
- Amanda’s Corner: Let’s Reframe Bossy - March 14, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Stomping Out Stage Fright - June 14, 2013
- Amanda’s Corner: How I’m Chiming for Change - June 7, 2013
- Cause of the Month: 826National - June 5, 2013
- Amanda’s Corner: Putting the “Pro” in Proactive - May 31, 2013
- Amanda’s Corner: Reflections on my College Graduation - May 27, 2013