October 11 is International Day of the Girl, a day declared by the United Nations that recognizes the potential of girls around the world to help eradicate poverty and make a difference in their communities. As an intern for Girl Up, I have been gearing up for International Day of the Girl for quite a while now, and I am so excited. I am also stoked to tell you all about an awesome related initiative from Girl Up that is perfect for go-getters like you.
In honor of International Day of the Girl, Girl Up has launched 11 Days of Action, an initiative that encourages people to take part in a growing movement to advocate for the needs and rights of adolescent girls around the world. 11 Days of Action is a celebration of the strength of girls in developing countries and the passion of supporters to make a difference. It started on Monday and leads up to International Day of the Girl!
Each day offers a new call-to-action, along with the story of an inspiring girl and the profile of a celebrity or public figure who is active in the fight for girls’ rights. Take today, for example: it’s Day 4 of 11 Days of Action, and the action of the day is to read the Girl Declaration. You can learn how to ensure girls’ voices are included in the United Nations’ post-2015 agenda. Take a look at the Girl Declaration (I love the bright colors and cool fonts!) and spread the word. On social media, tell your friends about it and use the hashtag #11DaysofAction.
How are you taking action for girls around the world? Let us know in the comments!
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014