Guess that means it is about time for me to head back to school, too.
For the first time in 17 (count ‘em, SEVENTEEN!) years, I will not be stepping into a school classroom. That thought is bittersweet. Though it’s exciting to be figuring out my career next steps, it’s also sad to not be learning in a classroom setting or hanging out with my friends on campus.
So this next month will be all about transition and coping for me. And I bet it will be for a lot of you, too. Whether you are moving to a new school, starting the adventure that is college or even just missing summer, you’re probably in transition mode, too.
But we can do it! Here’s what I plan on doing to get through the transition blues:
Focus: Right now, I have a busy full-time internship to fill my days. I also have networking events, volunteer opportunities and a little column called Amanda’s Corner. All of these opportunities help me plow through the day and remind me of the amazing opportunities I have—and will have to come.
Meet new people: Your new city or new school has plenty of people who would love to be friends with you. Seriously. Put yourself out there and make the most of it. Introduce yourself. Lately, I’ve been spending time with the other interns at my workplace, and they’re all great. And hey, at the end of the day, if your friends are not in the same place as you, there is always Skype!
Make time for yourself, too: I love to sit on my apartment balcony (when there isn’t a cloud of mosquitoes around…definitely made that mistake once) and reflect on all of my new experiences. Sometimes I write it out. But I always feel grateful for new beginnings and how all that schooling got me to where I am today.
Revel and plan: Throughout the day, random school memories pop into my head and make me smile. Sure, they make me miss my alma mater, and they make me miss my friends, but that doesn’t mean that my friends and I can’t plan a reunion this fall! We are psyched to get together around Halloween.
Whatever you are transitioning into, I know you’ll be great!
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014