1. Living in Washington, D.C., I am fortunate enough to live within walking distance from the Smithsonian museums. And I can’t believe it took me two months since I began my D.C. life in July to visit them! When my twin brother, Ian, came to visit last weekend, one of the first things we did was go to the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum. We hadn’t been there since 2000, when we were on a family trip to D.C., so it was a treat to be surrounded by plane models and solar systems and a planetarium again.
While there, I was reminded of why I love learning about outer space: there is so much potential for exploration. For me, the unknown can be incredibly intimidating. Especially when I try to wrap my mind around the fact that in outer space, the unknown could extend forever—who knows? (I do tend to get freaked out when I watch space exploration movies.) But developing the capabilities to continue solving the mysteries of outer space is something that excites me on the innovation front—and why I follow companies like SpaceX, founded in 2002 to “revolutionize space technology.” Ian said he wants to go into space someday. Maybe I’ll join him!
2. I can now get my galactic fix via Instagram—and you can, too! NASA just launched its official Instagram account last Friday. In a press release, NASA said it will use Instagram to “take its fans on an out-of-this-world journey through images of Earth and beyond.” And its content is both mesmerizing and educational. My mind is blown.
3. By the time you are reading this, I (hopefully) have already woken up bright and early to take a peek at the International Space Station in the sky. I always feel more productive in the morning, anyway, but I don’t always wake up early enough for my liking, so this will be an awesome excuse. Maybe you saw it, too! If you didn’t, you can check out when you might see it next here.
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014