Amy Poehler is most known for her hilarious portrayal of Leslie Knope in NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” or as part of the “Saturday Night Live” cast, but Poehler launched a new project in summer 2012 that is part news show and part dance party, an Internet series called “Smart Girls at the Party.” In this series, Poehler, producer Meredith Walker and singer-songwriter Amy Miles interview girls across the globe.
Though it may be celebrity-fueled, it doesn’t focus on appearances or the hottest music and fashion trends but instead, the accomplishments, hobbies and interests of girls everywhere. The website of “Smart Girls at the Party” describes itself as “a rapidly expanding online network that aims to help the process of cultivating the authentic selves of young women and the young at heart.”
Poehler could sometimes stand to brush up on her interviewing skills, but it is obvious how much fun she has interacting with the girls and learning what they have been up to. In a “Smart Girls w/Amy Poehler” segment, she talks with three sisters, the “Soul Sisters,” who know how to rock it in a skate park typically dominated by boys who have “never seen a girl skate before.” (Not surprisingly, the girls know how to show them a thing or two!)
One of the coolest segments on “Smart Girls at the Party” is “Girls of the World,” during which the Smart Girls crew hops on a plane to experience the lives of girls in different countries. The most recent segment of “Girls of the World” features Kalpana, who attends Kopila Valley School in Nepal and loves chaat, a local delicacy. She loves reading to relax and just finished reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. One day, she wants to become a teacher and “give education to all the children of the world.” Poehler and her web series have hearts of gold that seek to show how much girls rock.
And what better way to end each episode than with a dance party?
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014