I am fortunate to have only a 10- to 12-minute walk to and from my internship in Washington, D.C. each day. The congestion around DuPont Circle, partly from bright orange construction signs and blockades scattered throughout the roads and partly from the sheer volume of cars, can make even pedestrian travel occur at a slower rate—thanks to cars blocking intersections and more.
But the congestion doesn’t bother me, really: having my headphones in and listening to one of many podcasts on my iPhone makes my commute surprisingly engaging. (I just make sure to keep the volume at a reasonable level and look both ways while crossing the street to ensure I’m aware of my surroundings. Better to be safe than sorry!)
I am a relatively new podcast listener. And I wonder, where have they been all my life? I am so excited to consume information in a new way. The innovation of a podcast coupled with the innovative topics I learn about on my walks makes me even more interested in pursuing a path of entrepreneurship. I listen to a lot of podcasts about entrepreneurship, so I thought I would share a few of my favorite entrepreneurial podcasts with all of you:
1. NPR’s From Scratch: Host Jessica Harris talks to entrepreneurs across all industries, be it non-profit, tech, or food. I’ve heard podcasts with Sesame Street creator Joan Ganz Cooney, Bear Naked co-founders Brendan Synnott and Kelly Flatley, and Neil Blumenthal, co-founder of eyeglass company Warby Parker. I love hearing stories from innovators regarding the evolution of their ideas. This podcast gets my wheels turning.
2. The Wild Friends Podcast: Since founding Wild Friends Foods (then called Wild Squirrel) as students at University of Oregon, Keeley Tillotson and Erika Welsh have been busy revolutionizing the nut butter industry. But a few times a month, they sit down together to record a podcast to engage with their followers. They provide listeners with fun updates on their company, chronicle their adventures and interview other awesome lady entrepreneurs committed to making their business practices sustainable and meaningful. This is hands down my favorite podcast. Shout out to Keeley and Erika!
3. Young Female Entrepreneurs: This “show” airs every Thursday at 6 PM PST/9 PM EST but is archived as a podcast. It also has a video component. Not only does host Jennifer Donogh profile more awesome female entrepreneurs, but it also encourages viewers to connect on social media while they tune in via the hashtag #YFEChat. As a result, the podcasts taps into an entrepreneurial network that spreads the innovation of young female entrepreneurs. How cool is that?
- Hello Giggles! How Improv Techniques Can Help You in Business - October 13, 2016
- News Flash: Success is Not a Number on the Scale - August 8, 2016
- Top Tips For Aspiring Eco Warriors (from Environmental Icon Majora Carter!) - April 9, 2016
- Shout Out: Golden Globe’s Winner Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation - January 14, 2016
- Gettin’ Bizzy With It: Bizzy Girls - April 3, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: The ABC’s of Better Z’s - March 28, 2014
- Miley Cyrus: Not Advancing Feminism - March 27, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: Why I Chose a Women’s College - March 21, 2014
- Want to Empower Yourself? Help Other Women - March 13, 2014
- Amanda’s Corner: International Women’s Day - March 7, 2014