Valentines Day is a time of year to show someone you love them, but it’s also a great time to show yourself some love, too. Use the day’s love-spiration to your advantage and treat yourself. Here are 5 ways you can show yourself the love:
Focus on your positives: So often, we look at ourselves and focus on the flaws. It’s hard to not notice that you’ve let your goals slip behind schedule or that you’re not eating healthily. It could be the negativity that has been holding you back. Instead of focusing on the negative, focus on the positives. It’s hard to do, but you can always flip something and find its silver lining. Use terms of endearment when talking to yourself. Keeping positive will give you better focus and keep you in a better mood!
Treat yourself: Is there something you’ve been meaning to do, but haven’t had the opportunity to seize just yet? Well, now is the time to do it! If you’ve been meaning to buy that nice sweater you’ve been eyeing for months. Get it. Don’t go crazy, but one good purchase can serve as a nice treat. If it’s not a physical thing, then do something you love. Go see a movie you’ve been wanting to see or a take a trip to your favorite park. Do something you love and in the wise words of Donna from Parks and Recreation, “Treat yo self!”
Be proud of your accomplishments: You can be your biggest fan. Use Valentine’s Day as a day to promote something you’ve done. It’s okay to talk about yourself a little. If you’ve recently accomplished something great, share it with the world. Tweet, post, and share it on social media. Let your friends ‘like’ what you like about yourself. It’s great way to get validation of your hard work. A little ego is necessary sometimes. If you’re not proud of yourself, it’s hard to convince others, so be proud and loud!
De-stress: Stress can build up and can cause major health problems — especially if you don’t ever take time to decompress. Take a few seconds to de-stress. Go for a walk. Clear your head. Being with yourself can be calming. Go for a stroll to be alone with your thoughts or enjoy a playlist you’ve made of all your favorite songs. Taking a step back and relaxing can reset you. Like in a romantic movie, a long walk on the beach can be a loveing thing—and you can do that with yourself as well. Take 10 minutes away from technology and distractions. Focus on you!
Write yourself a love letter: Drafting a love letter is a nice way to show someone you care. Keeping a journal is like writing a love letter to yourself. Write down what you love about yourself and what you want to improve upon. Write your long-term and short-term goals. Just write about what you care about. Remember to be positive. This journal will be your love letter to your present and future self. You can look back on it for inspiration, motivation, and maybe even a few laughs.
- 5 Ways To Find the Best (and Doable) Resolution On “Make Up Your Mind Day” - December 30, 2016
- 5 Ways To Show Self-Love, Whether It’s Valentine’s or Not! - February 10, 2016
- Human Rights Day is December 10: Here’s How to Impact Social Change - December 2, 2015
- Five Ways to Help Kids and Inspire Art In Your Community - March 2, 2015
- 5 Easy Ways To Break Creative Mental Blocks - January 30, 2015
- Dream On (Really!): 5 Ways To Make Your Dream A Reality - January 14, 2015
- Help Eliminate AIDS: Celebrate World AIDS Day - December 2, 2014
- 5 Ways To Up Your Work Game By Using The Rules of Improvisational Comedy - December 2, 2014
- Yes, Please To All That: Why I Love Amy Poehler - November 28, 2014
- Help Stop Domestic Violence With The #NoMore Campaign - November 21, 2014