I never could have imagined that a lighthearted conversation over something funny that a kid said would change my life in such a big way. I was nearing the end of my pregnancy and sitting with my sister-in-law at a family gathering. She told me a story about how my niece asked her what it was that she wanted to grow up to be, as a little girl. “A veterinarian,” was the answer. My niece proceeded, “did you become one?”
We laughed and joked about how she clearly had no idea what her mom went off to do all day every day. (My sister in-law is not a veterinarian.)
It was a cute and funny story but later on it hit me like a ton of bricks.
What if this were to happen to me?
What if my son one day asked the question?
I’m sure most children do.
I’m also sure most parents have moved on from their childhood dream jobs. But I hadn’t.
I have held the dream in my heart of becoming a writer for as long as I can remember. I have journals upon journals packed away in bins and files upon files on jump drives and internet clouds. Things that I have written – lists, outlines, prefaces even whole chapters for books. I have articles waiting to be sent, waiting to be read.
I even have a novel I set out to (and did) write in one year. I didn’t write it to publish it, I wrote it as therapy. But I have often thought that maybe I should… someday
After that conversation, thoughts of having a similar conversation with my son, someday, haunted me.
What if my sweet boy looked at me one day and asked the question? What if I told him I wanted to be a writer?
And what if he asked if I had become one?
Could I laugh it off as a funny story?
I knew that I couldn’t say “no” without feeling the sting of an unfulfilled dream. I couldn’t smile and say, “kids say the darnedest things”.
It wouldn’t be a story I would share with friends or family.
There is nothing funny about being too afraid, too busy or too tired to pursue a dream.
This was a major turning point for me.
I knew that I had to become a writer. It was no longer just my dream but it was now my son’s empowerment – it would be proof that he could do anything he set his mind to do.
I didn’t have much to invest, so with just $14 I started my blog – my only goal being that one day when that question was asked, I could say “yes”.
One year later, this goal has evolved into so much more and, though I still have a lot of work ahead of me, I have accomplished the one thing I set out to do.
I am a writer.
I write things that people actually read and I even get paid!
Sometimes I wish I had done it so much sooner but in a way I’m glad that I didn’t. Now, I can look my son in the eye when he asks that question and I can proudly say, “Yes, all because of you.”
[/et_pb_text][et_pb_divider admin_label=”Divider” color=”#000000″ show_divider=”on” height=”20″ divider_style=”solid” divider_position=”center” divider_weight=”3″ hide_on_mobile=”off”] [/et_pb_divider][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
by Inez Bayardo, 36
Inez is a Blogger, Diary of a New Mommy, Freelance Writer and Social Media Influencer. In addition to writing, she has a passion for helping others which led her to start Mom Blog Tribe in April 2016. Inez resides in Northern California with the love of her life – her 1 year old son. She enjoys staying home with him while pursuing her career goals.
BUSINESS/CAREER GOAL: Consultant for Bloggers & Social Media Influencers, Published Author
CURRENTLY: Freelance Writer & Blogger, Social Media Influencer
RECOMMENDED READ: 11 Successful Women Recall Their Early Career Mistakes
- 4 Steps I Consistently Take to be the Best Me - January 3, 2017
- Just Love Yourself Already, Would Ya?! Here’s 22 Quotes on Why - September 16, 2016
- Adulting: What I Wish I’d Known Before Renting My First Apartment - September 3, 2016
- Wanna Get Risky? 8 Ways to Enjoy the Fringe Benefits - July 23, 2016
- This High-Earning Poker Pro Tells Us Why It’s Awesome to Be Underestimated - July 18, 2016
- The Day I Snapped Out of It & Started Professional Blogging - July 8, 2016
- Wake Up Your Innovation Goddess - July 6, 2016
- 3 Small Words That Will Change Your Life if You’re Smart - June 27, 2016
- Ask Yourself “How Do I Feel?” rather than “How Do I Look?” - June 25, 2016
- Taking the Leap: From Zookeeper to E-Commerce Entrepreneur - June 17, 2016
- Survivor to Thriver: The Journey from Abuse Survivor to #1 Bestselling Author
- The Day I Snapped Out of It & Started Professional Blogging
- If My Life Was a Listicle a.k.a. 11 Steps to Living The Life You’ve Wanted
- Wake Up Your Innovation Goddess
- Depression: A War with Myself, But Now I’m a Warrior
- 4 Steps I Consistently Take to be the Best Me
- Taking the Leap: From Zookeeper to E-Commerce Entrepreneur
- Brewing Myself a New Life: The Craft Beer Industry Isn’t Just a Boys Club
- Adulting: What I Wish I’d Known Before Renting My First Apartment
- 10 Entrepreneurs Who Are Slaying the Boss Girl Game Right Now