Before we know it, the holidays will be memories of the past and the new year will be here. If you’re anything like me, you usually don’t start thinking about your New Year’s resolution until the week or so before the ball drops. And, chances are you usually don’t carry through with that last-minute resolution.
Let’s make a resolution to stick to our resolutions in the new year. And the only way that we can make sure that we’re successful in doing this, is to start right now.
Here are 5 reasons why:
1. You’re waiting on nothing.
January 1st is just another day. Yeah, I said it. It’s as important as a day as May 18th, unless it’s your birthday, that is. Either way, get started on your dreams right now. You have nothing to lose!
2. But, you also need more time.
Honestly, coming up with a New Years’ resolution as a force of habit is the reason why you’re failing. In the next month, take time to evaluate where, how and why you’ve fallen short in 2016. Once you’ve determined these things, use them to inform your New Years’ resolution. You’ll be more determined, mindful and purposeful.
3. And, it takes 21 days to break a habit.
And, it also takes 21 days to form a habit. Giving yourself the month of December to experiment with your New Years resolution will allow you to make tweaks where needed and revise for the upcoming year.
4. Starting now will give you more independence.
Raise your hand if you’re guilty of hopping on to someone else’s resolution. Don’t worry, I’m guilty too. This goes back to #1– time is very important here. With more time, you can make a more informed decision that fits your unique situation where you’re at in your current stage of life.
5. You’ll be able to beat the New Years’ “rush”
Especially if your resolution is to start going to the gym, you can get a head start on all of the weight-loss resolvers by at least a month. If it’s to start eating healthier, you can stock up at Trader Joe’s before everything is gone. The early bird always catches the worm, especially in the new year.
6. Your friends will be jealous of you.
You: “I’m 10 days strong into my New Years’ resolution. SO glad that I started early.”
Your friends: “Wow, she’s such an over achiever. I need to be more like her.”
JK, they might not be jealous, but they’ll definitely be inspired. And, inspiration to live a better life is what we’re all here for!
7. And, most of all: Practice makes perfect.
Let’s face it, you don’t need to wait until the new year begins to make a change in your life. By inching up your New Years’ resolution you’ll be more empowered to make changes throughout the year, whether they start on January 1st or July 4th.
- 7 Reasons Why You Need to Start Your New Years’ Resolution Now - December 6, 2016
- 15 Things I Learned On My First Solo Trip to Europe - November 18, 2016
- 7 Reasons Why Phoebe from ‘Hey Arnold!’ was a Silent Badass Boss Girl - October 24, 2016
- 5 ways you can end sexual violence on college campuses right now - October 9, 2016
- A New Boss Girl Anthem from Beyoncé’s LEMONADE - April 26, 2016
- Boss Girls On Campus: Five College Students Talk About The Power of Black Womanhood & Education - February 9, 2016
- #BHM: 5 College Students on the Power of Black Womanhood & Education - February 8, 2016
- Boss Girls on the Street Share Their Summer Success - July 7, 2015
- The Best and Bossiest Advice From Mom in Honor of Mother’s Day - May 6, 2015